• Writer • Nerd • Feminist • Fan-Girl • Boisterous Introvert • Cat Enthusiast •
• Body Positive • Depression Maven • Neurodivergent • Ace/Queer (she/her) •
• Extreme Capricorn •
S.I. Mathews (Shalena) writes Young Adult novels and blogs occasionally, usually about books or writing. She lives in Tennessee with her family and cat overlord, Ruby.
- My beloved Fat Fat passed away in June of 2018 at the age of 12. I had a giant hole in my heart. I knew losing him would hurt, but it hurt way more than I thought possible.
- Two weeks after Fat Fat died, my husband came home with Fat Fat’s ashes to find a diluted tortoiseshell kitten sitting serenely on our porch. After luring us in with her sweetness and love of cuddles, she became empress of our lives.
- Her name is Ruby, named after the month she adopted us (July) and one of the Crystal Gems on Steven Universe.
- Ruby is scary smart, vicious when she feels like it, and absolutely freaking adorable. Find her on Instagram: @AllHailTheRuby (Ruby is pleased with my first four facts so I can now stop writing about her. Whew.)
- My favorite numbers are my old basketball jersey numbers, one for my high school team (31) and one for my traveling team (14).
- I have suffered from severe major depression most of my life and take medicine to treat it. I also suffer from anxiety and have occasional panic attacks. They suck.
- My favorite colors are blue, green, purple, and, although it is not technically a color, gray.
- I love making spreadsheets.
- I’m a caretaker for one of my parents.
- I have a day job in the transportation industry.
- One of my legs is shorter than the other. With that and my scoliosis, my knees and lower back are all jacked up.
- I have a sizable My Little Pony collection that includes both Gen 1 and Gen 4 figures.
- The first fan-fic I ever tried to write was about a soap opera I didn’t watch.
- My Chemical Romance is the band of my heart.